Wednesday, April 9, 2008

More Sites that I like the look of

bykeproject
is a well laid out and designed site. I wouldn’t say the site itself is arty, rather the products the site is selling are arty.

The overall layout though of the site I think looks really good, with the use of the black, pink and white colours throughout the whole site.
This site is to help the youth in lower income suburbs, and has been initiated by the BMX community.

When you think of the BMX competitions, and in general the people who do ride BMX bikes, you think of tough, young adults who like adventure and exhilaration of
jumping over obstacles.
I think the web designer has played on these perceptions extremely well to show the generous and thoughtful side the BMX community has by using pink throughout the site, which no-one would normally consider a colour to
relate with BMX bikers.

The heading of the site looks extremely cool, as do the articles spread through the page. I’d never consider making a site like this – but looking at how simple and awesome this site looks – I’d love to pull this off for my final assignment. No flash is used, and it still looks fantastic!

williams-bistro
I’d say this site is very arty. From the first look at the site, and the top left hand side, there is an interesting piece of vector imagery, as well as some cool icons/logos on the left hand side.

Although the site is in what looks like German – I think the designer of the site has built the site to showcase their own art works.
A very simple site, that I think works extremely well.

klickstudio
A very interesting site which has been designed to advertise a company that is skilled in marketing and communications.

Uses basically all Flash to animate the site extremely well.

I’d say the site has been moderately well designed. The font to explain everything about the company on all pages I think is too small to read which would be a major concern as potential customers would be looking at the site to get their initial thoughts about the site.

The use of art in flash, and for the images has been well created, but I wouldn’t call this an arty site. I wouldn’t say it is a designer site either.

Not too sure what I’d call it…. But to be either art or design, it has to have some different characteristics, which I don’t think it has.

1 comment:

Web art & design said...

pls stop using the word arty. It is a bit of crude and disparaging way of putting down art. Perhaps you do not realise this... in that case now you do.
I think the site has a reasonable good street branding look to it - the fonts and logo work to sells the product (hoodies etc) and provides to the street kids etc. Nice new branding. Diesel did the same a while ago. The williams-bistro site is really a blog done up a bit. Nice art.